Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: The Future of Digital Filmmaking

  1. #1
    Eliud25
    Guest Eliud25's Avatar

    Post

    I predict that in 5-10 years digital will take over and new products will emerge where digital video and film will converge to create a new product that will revolutionize filmmaking as we know it. Also, my favorite of all the formats is Digital 8 and that's because when I travel to another country(like Mexico)where technology hasn't reached it's full potential
    I find that buying an 8mm or Hi-8 tape for $4 dollars anywhere I go,is far better than buying a mini-dv tape that costs 5 times as much and can only be found in a specialty video store or cannot be found at all.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member frankieroberto's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 1st, 2000
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Calling all Independant Filmmakers!

    I'm doing some investigative work into digital filmmaking and how it may affect the film industries.

    There's a lot of speculation that digital technologies (such as DV) will lead to a merging of the different media, and a convergence of the consumer and industry markets.

    Do you think that digital filming technology really is giving better opportunities to the independant filmmaker? Will indie/guerilla filmmakers be able to compete with the mainstream in cinemas/tv/video-on-demand?

    If you are making a film, or plan to, what are your hopes for the project? Will you upload to the net (atomfilms, etc..). Will you take it to the film festivals?

    Any predictions for the future of filmmaking in 5/10 years time?

    Frankie

    ------------------
    Looking for a UK newsgroup about film-making?
    Try news:free.uk.film-making

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Gurdeep Samra's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 1999
    Posts
    153
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)


    I give a thumbs up to the format of miniDV because before I couldn't bring myself to shoot on video because of the crappy image. Obviously I lost money on my first few projects as they were all shot on 16mm so yes I do believe that miniDV is better for me.

    Although I can't speak for other people I'm sure others would agree with me (or they may not).


  4. #4
    Inactive Member Teenfilmmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2001
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    And I predict that in 5/10 years, the "Indie" filmmakers will still be trying to get their little amateur DV films into Hollywood, while the ones who do make it into Hollywood will be shooting on film. You know Video looks like shit. You know it sounds like shit. So why do all the indies like it? Because its cheap and it makes them think that they can make movies too without any trouble. The truth is DV will not go anywhere. All these predictions about DV becoming the official format of filmmakers in 5 years is horse shit. YOu know the people down in Hollywood don't want to see 'Home-Video-Looking amateur movies', they want to see films that they know filmmakers put a lot of work in and that the filmmakers are actual filmmakers not videomakers. DV isn't going anywhere. Nothing big has happened with it and nothing big will ever happen with it. Some of the smarter indie filmmakers are beginning to notice that no one wants to see Home Video DV movies, so they are starting to switch back to film, the real format to shoot on. So my prediction in 5/10 years is that film will be even bigger. You'll see people going back to 16MM and now even Super-8 is coming back. DV won't last long.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Teenfilmmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2001
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you want to see some good discussions on this, go over to Indieclub's discussion board. www.indieclub.com/messageboard and there is a pretty big posting there about it.

  6. #6
    Eliud25
    Guest Eliud25's Avatar

    Post

    I agree that film looks better than video but I also believe video and film will converge and create a new technology. I've shot using a 16mm movie camera and super 8. I've also used mini-dv, digital 8, hi-8, super vhs, super vhs-c, vhs and regular 8mm. So I basically know everything about film and video. I've even had a 8mm movie camera and projector so I am not an dumb when it comes to what I am doing. I just find it easier to shoot on Digital 8 cause like you said it is cheap. You know Mexcio City is the "Mecca" of soap operas and they shoot on video. Their soaps last only 6 months and they are full of passion, color, energy, romance, excitement, and anything you can think of. American soap operas are, in contrast, dull, boring, rediculously long, and bad. They also last 5 years so they don't have alot of action. They also shoot on video. So it is not what you use, but how you use it. It's a good lesson to learn "teen" for when you grow up.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    To all the format snobs:

    Reserve judgement until you have seen Star Wars Episode II.

    The film may suck, BUT IT IS BEING FILMED DIGITALLY

    I.E.: it is being filmed onto TAPE using a CODEC, a bit like a mother of a DV codec.

    Of course, just because you shoot DV doesn't make you any more talented, but it is a great equaliser. People (such as myself) who found the cost of filmstock a major obstacle need no longer worry.

    Of course, DV projected like film will SUCK, but let's face it, outside of Raindance etc, where are you more likely to see these films? At the cinema or on TV??!!

    And, why shoot on film, when that film has to be converted to DIGITAL to do modern special effects work??!! Just because you are a 'film-maker' does NOT excuse you from being efficient and making a saving in the budget.

    SOME PEOPLE ARE SO THICK!!!!
    (you know who you are)

  8. #8
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    To be honest unless you are in a position to choose, and have a budget in the 100's of thousands, with which to convert your film to digital and back again, or whatever, then this is a purely academic question.

    You use whatever you have access to. I cant understand why someone who is still trying to get to grips with the basics should even be remotely concerned about what George Lucas is up to. He lives in a different world to you, to all of us. The amount of money and equipment he has at his disposal is inconceivable. As has been said over and over again, each format has its strengths and weaknesses. Whatever happens wont happen for a long time. Let the studios worry about it, and make your film or video on whatever you can afford, or have.

    At some point I expect most films will be digitised, to be archived and preserved, if nothing else. Then it wont make a sod of difference what it was filmed on. But I do think that using film demands a more professional approach that video can fake. Studios recognise this. So if you want to impress a studio to get a job with them, make a film. Given two applicants who have made a movie each, Ill betcha they choose the filmmaker over the videomaker each time

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Teenfilmmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2001
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    I have worked with Hi-8, 8MM video, Super-8, VHS, and VHS-C. So I also know my shit. Miker or biker or someone said the following: "And, why shoot on film, when that film has to be converted to DIGITAL to do modern special effects work??!!" Who says that you have to transfer to digital? Who even said you need special effects? What the hell are you talking about? No one need digital. I've never worked with it in my life (I'm 14) but I have won film festivals and awards for my non-digital films. You know digital really is not that big. SInce 99% of the people on this board are from the UK, you really don't know what it's like in Hollywood. NO ONE SHOOTS DIGITAL IN HOLLYWOOD! All the big independent guys shoot film.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •